Re: [EXIM] POP3

Author: Tom
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Gyan Mathur, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] POP3

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Cyrus is a good system. For a single setup its very good, you cannot
> scale it across NFS (you can't do this safely with mbox either - its just

Scale across NFS? I can consider that an oxymoron. NFS is poor
protocol for mail retrieval over a network. IMAP is better. Cyrus will
easily (as in x86 hardware) handle 50,000 mailboxes on a single sealed
server. If you need more, just use a proxy which redirects the IMAP or POP
request to the appropiate server.

> the reason why I don't use it). It does use its own format mail spool -
> which gives it good performance by optomising the layout for the data
> needed for IMAP. If you want IMAP its the best implementation I know of.
> It is again not free software

Free for use.

>     http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/
> There is also a fully commercial derivative - Simeon [Long ago the UK
> academic mob were talking licenses with ESYS - might be worth talking to
> JNT/CHEST whoever if you are in this position]
>     http://www.esys.ca/

> [There are many others - most of which I have not fiddled with.
> Personally I use cucipop on small systems, Cyrus on a few, qmail's popper
> on big systems]
>
>     Nigel.
> --
> [ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
> [ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]
> [      Real life is but a pale imitation of a Dilbert strip       ]

Tom