Re: [EXIM] POP3

Author: Gyan Mathur
To: Exim Users, gyan
Subject: Re: [EXIM] POP3

> I prefer the Cyrus IMAP/POP system from CMU.
> [...]
> It also keeps the mailboxes in it's own area where they must
> be accessed via IMAP. (The POP3 daemon is really a POP3 to
> IMAP4 protocol translator.) The advantage of this is that
> there are no file ownership or locking problems. The down
> side is that you can't use old mail user agents that don't
> know about IMAP or POP. (Or, rather, to use them you must
> use a POP or IMAP-aware program like fetchmail to move the
> messages from the IMAP server to your private area.)

Which in fact makes it unusable in the situation I'm in. I don't
think my original message was clear enough on this point: the
requirement is that each user can at any time read their mail either
by POP3 or by logging on and using Elm (without any intermediate
pre-processing step), depending on whether they are at their own
workstation or logging on from elsewhere. Any mail read using POP3
and left on the server needs to be able to be read later using Elm,
and any mail read using Elm and left on the spool needs to be
accessible by POP3 later. The mail therefore needs to be in a
traditional-style mail file, as created by the local_delivery
transport, and the POP3 server needs to be able to read this without
changing it or moving the mail elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone who's replied, particularly those who pointed to
FreeBSD ports of different poppers -- indeed it would be easiest to
install one of those and presumably if it is available as a port then
it is covered by the same licence as FreeBSD itself.

Gyan.