[EXIM] POP3

Author: Gyan Mathur
To: exim-users
CC: Gyan Mathur
Subject: [EXIM] POP3
Hello all

Since POP3 is being discussed again, here is a rather different
question. I'm setting up email on a general-purpose box to be used by
maybe 50-100 users within the company, so whatever I do _doesn't_ need
to be able to be scaled-up for thousands of customers. Mail will go
to /var/spool/mail/username, in standard Exim format (no special
separators) and all users will have either a login account or at least
an entry in /etc/passwd -- ie nothing strange at all. Some users will
log on and use an MUA on the machine, others will get theirs by POP3,
and some will do both.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to which POP3 server software to
use? I keep hearing rumours that some of the popular ones have got
security holes but am not sure which rumours to believe; basically I
need something that is robust, easy to set up (under FreeBSD), free to
commercial sites (available under the GNU licence or similar) and
works from a mail file in standard format.

All comments welcome.

Gyan.