Re: [EXIM] exim, whitespace, logs and config files

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] exim, whitespace, logs and config files
Sorry for taking two weeks to reply to this :-(

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:48:05 +0100 (BST), you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Marc Haber wrote:
>> It looks like that all whitespace from the alias file is copied over
>> to the log, making it look extremely ugly. Is that mandated by some
>> design rule I am not aware of or would it be sensible to have exim
>> replace all whitespace read in from the alias file by a single space?
>
>That whitespace is part of your pipe command. It might be important.
>(Yes, Exim could try to be clever and try to decide which whitespace is
>important and which is not, but it doesn't.)

Has that been a design decision? It could be possible to ignore all
whitespace that comes after backslash-newline. I don't think that
would be considered broken since whitespace after backslash-newline
usually is ignored by exim.

One could have an alias file exim-enhanced by using a buzzline like "#
exim alias file" analogous to the "exim filter" that enables the
enhanced filter syntax.

>But what is wrong with something like this?
>
>test-list-outgoing:
> :include:/var/spool/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de/test-list,
> "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper digest
> -r -C -c /etc/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de
> -l test-digest
> test-digest-outgoing@???",
> "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive2.pl
> -C /etc/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de
> -a -M
> -f /var/spool/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de/test-list.archive/test-list",
> "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive2.pl
> -C /etc/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de
> -a -D
> -f /var/spool/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de/test-list.archive/test-list",
> "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive2.pl
> -C /etc/majordomo/lists.mydomain.de
> -a
> -f /home/wh/lists/test-list"

It makes it harder to see where a new alias starts.

>You don't want to use \ to continue lines in alias files (see 22.1).

Is that what you mean?
|The list can be continued over several lines by starting each of the
|continuation lines with white space.

Usage of a back slash could be used to tell exim to ignore the white
space that starts the next line.

Greetings
Marc