Re: [EXIM] Outgoing mail return path

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: patl
Cc: Vadim Vygonets, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Outgoing mail return path
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 patl@??? wrote:

> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Outgoing mail return path
>
> > Quoth Rufus evison on Fri, Sep 11, 1998:
> > > How can I allow a user to set the return path on outgoing mail. My
> > > problem is that many of the cgi scripts on our web server send mails.
> > > They all run as the same user (www) and sometimes the address they send to
> > > is duff, or the size of the message is too big for the recipient, or some
> > > similare problem.

The webmasters at our site read mail to the user httpd (or www at our
site). cgi's can only be installed by the webmasters, but we have a cgi
that allows users to set up things that send mail. But since the
distination email address for any particular form is "fixed", it is
appropriate for the webmasters, as opposed to the individual users, get
the bounce reports.

> > You can make www "trusted" user and let it set the envelope "From ".

> I wouldn't do that if the users can install their own cgi scripts.
> It would be tantamount to making all of those users trusted...

Agreed. But I have been told that the latest version of Apache (1.3) is
more flexible than previous versions with regard to setting euid depending
on file ownerships. So it should be possible to have the mail sent from
the owner of the web form or whatever which generated the request. I
haven't played with that at all.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814