Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jim Knoble
A: Exim users mailing list
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP
Paul--

I have a setup that deals specifically with dialup-type systems. It's
based on the following:

  - Exim is configure to queue remote messages (queue_remote) and
    deliver local ones immediately.

  - Remote mail is delivered directly via SMTP (could also be delivered
    to a smart relay).

- The SysV initscript starts Exim with no queue-running (exim -bd).

  - The /etc/ppp/if-up script restarts Exim with a queue-runner (exim
    -q10m -bd).

  - The /etc/ppp/if-down script restarts Exim without the queue-runner
    again.

This works incredibly well for me (much better than smail ever did).
If you like, i can make the various scripts (it's on Red Hat Linux 4.2)
available from my web page.

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% jmknoble@??? %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

På 1998-Sep-10 klokka 14:46:01 +0200 skrivet Paul Slootman:

: I've dug through the last couple of months' worth of this mailing list,
: but can't find what I'm looking for... the previous thread with this
: subject sounded promising, but alas.
:
: Anyway: we have a dial-on-demand system here in our department. The
: background on this system is that the "official" mailhost for the
: company is somewhat unreliable, and to ensure a stable email connection
: we installed our own mailhost. Our mailhost has a permanent DNS
: capability (which works via the corporate firewall), and a
: dial-on-demand ISDN connection to an ISP. So far so good.
:
: Our mailhost also works as a web proxy, using the wwwoffle package (very
: nice!). Inspired by wwwoffle, I began wondering if exim could be driven
: in the same sort of way.
:
: Wwwoffle can be in a number of states: offline, online, and dial-on-demand.
:
: - In the online state, requests are fetched directly unless already in
: the cache, in which case the remote site is checked to see whether the
: cached data has been expired yet.
:
: - In the dial-on-demand state, anything in the cache is delivered; if
: the requested page is not in the cache, a connection is made to
: retrieve it.
:
: - In the offline state, requests are noted for later retrieval; stuff in
: the cache is simply delivered.
:
: The switching between online and dial-on-demand is done via a command in
: /etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down.
:
:
: Now, I currently have queue_smtp set, so that exim doesn't immediately
: cause a dialout when a message is sent. However, I'd love to see some
: way of telling exim it's ok to immediately deliver a message when the
: connection is up and running (otherwise it'll be queued, and perhaps
: cause a dialout when 'exim -q' is run, and waste money).
:
: I can't currently see how this could be done, short of editing the
: config file every time (yuck!). Could something be fabricated out of
: checking for the existence of a file, for example? I'm sure there are
: other people who need something like this (even if they don't know it
: yet :-).