Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Peter Radcliffe
題目: Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> probably said:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > - I'd like *immediate* delivery when the system is online

I hit this problem recently, when I set up my little network at home.
I have a dialup/mail/dns/nfs/boot server that stays on all the time
and a few other machines I use for various things (workstation, tape
host [exabyte-sneakernet is faster than modem] etc) that mostly go
on and off.

I set up all the random machines as null clients - all smarthosted
and with a specific route for all mail to the dialup box, so
no mail should sit on them while the line is down and they get
turned off.
The dialup box queues everything, and I have a script (similar to
ones posted already - it pings the far end of the ppp line five times
and that ping is filtered to not bring the line up) that runs exim -qqf
if the line is up. I run this every 5 mins.

The only thing I don't like (and its hardly essential, since its only my
home toys) is that when the line is up a message will still get queued
and if the line goes down before the next queue run ....

> So first you need to define how a program is to discover whether the
> system is online or not.

This needs to be some external hook - there are so many ways you may
have to use to work out if a line is up or not.

> Perhaps Exim should have an option along the lines of

> dont_queue_if_exists = /some/file/name

> and then some external agency could create or remove the file as
> appropriate in order to control Exim's behaviour. It seems rather messy,
> though.

That would be perfect for my setup - I have lineup and linedown scripts -
but kinda messy as you say. The only other thing that springs to mind is
running an external program and depending on the return code, but that
would be far less efficient especially if you want to check frequently.

So, yes, I'd like this too :) and could help with semi-connected boxes
using exim in general.

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???