Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Paul Slootman
題目: Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP
On Thu 10 Sep 1998, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > Now, I currently have queue_smtp set, so that exim doesn't immediately
> > cause a dialout when a message is sent. However, I'd love to see some
> > way of telling exim it's ok to immediately deliver a message when the
> > connection is up and running (otherwise it'll be queued, and perhaps
> > cause a dialout when 'exim -q' is run, and waste money).
>
> could a script which did this under a cron-job...
>
>     #!/bin/sh

>     ping smarthost-at-isp
>     if [ ?$ -eq 0 ] ; then
>         exim -some-flags-which-trigger-email
>     fi

Unfortunately not, because:

- a ping will cause a dialout as well (finding the state is not the
problem; as I said, state transitions are handled via the ip-up and
ip-down scripts).

- I'd like *immediate* delivery when the system is online (or at least
before the hangup occurs :-), doing this right will require very
frequent running of the script), just as if queue_smtp is false; and
delayed delivery when the system is not online.
Unfortunately the ip-down script is run *after* the connection is
down, otherwise that would be the ideal location for a 'exim -q'.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@??? | work: paul@??? | debian: paul@???
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands