Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Georg v.Zezschwitz
CC: Conor Mc Goveran, Exim users mailing list, Paul Mansfield
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Dial Up SMTP
On Thu 03 Sep, Georg v.Zezschwitz wrote:

> Are you sure Exim is compliant? I guess Exim should rather
> expect a '@' instead of a hash.

I don't believe so.

> 5.3 Use Of ETRN to release mail for a subdomain or queue
>
>    If the requesting server wishes to release all of the mail for a
>    given subdomain, a variation on the ETRN command can be used.  To
>    perform this request, the option character '@' should be used in
>    front of the node name.  In this manner, any domain names that are
>    formed with a suffix of the specified node name are released.

Exim cannot offer this service. All it has is the -R option, which
releases any message with a recipient whose address contains the given
string. This is not "any domain names that are formed with a suffix of
the specified node name". For example, if you run

exim -R root@

it will release all messages with recipients root@<something>. This just
doesn't relate to "nodes" (whatever they are) or domains.

>    For example, if the command ETRN @foo.com was issued, then any
>    accumulated mail for fred.foo.com, a.b.c.d.e.f.g.foo.com or foo.com
>    may be released.

If you run "exim -R foo.com" it would also release, for example,
messages addressed to x@??? or even "foo.com"@???.

> This perfectly fits Exims behaviour.

Only some of the time, which is why I did not implement it originally. I
didn't want to run the risk of being accused of not following the RFC.

> The hash is intended somehow different:
>
>    In a similar vein, it might be necessary under some circumstances to
>    release a certain queue, where that queue does not correspond to a
>    given domain name.

This is the nearest I could think of to what -R actually gives you.

>    To this end, the option character '#' can be used
>    to force the processing of a given queue.

It isn't really a separate queue, but I reckoned it could be thought of
as some kind of virtual queue, so that's what I implemented.

However, in the current version of Exim you can configure it to
recognize @ or anything you like by setting the etrn_command option.
So by that means I think everybody can be happy. Hopefully.