Re: [EXIM] Exim ignore_errmsg_errors_after behaviour odditie…

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Philip Hazel
To: Elena Blanco
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] Exim ignore_errmsg_errors_after behaviour oddities
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Elena Blanco wrote:

> It seems that the only way I can get those messages
> (ie those not relating to permanent SMTP errors) to disappear automatically is
> to set ignore_errmsg_errors when they are dropped on the floor immediately along
> with all the other failed error messages. I assumed that the two
> ignore_errmsg_etc options worked in the same way using the same criteria to
> ignore the messages, is that not the case?

When an error delivery fails, if ignore_errmsg_errors is set it is
indeed thrown away immediately. Otherwise it gets frozen, because
there's no point keeping on trying frequently.

If you set ignore_errmsg_after, then, at the next delivery attempt that
occurs that long after the message was frozen, one more delivery should
be tried, and if that fails, the message should be dropped. There should
be a log entry that says "Unfrozen by errmsg timer".

Of course, there might be something going wrong with this logic... Have
you got some log entries that might confirm that it is hanging onto
these messages for longer than you say? I've got

ignore_errmsg_errors_after = 12h

on my system, and they do seem to go away on that kind of timescale.

Now, this will happen only if there is a positive failure to deliver.
Some kind of temporary error (DNS lookup timing out, or whatever) will
behave as it would for a normal message.

> I'm using v1.90 at the moment although I'll upgrade to v2.02 soon, does this
> behaviour change between versions?

I don't think so.

Regards,
Philip