[EXIM] several messages

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Bruno Vuillemin, Nigel Metheringham, Peter Radcliffe
Cc: exim-users, Oliver.Hitz
Temas antiguos: Re: [EXIM] Exim 1.82 and RFC2317
Asunto: [EXIM] several messages
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Bruno Vuillemin wrote:

> The server claims that it is not able to find the host name belonging to
> the IP address of the sending machine:
>
> $ telnet siufuxsun04.unifr.ch 25
> Trying 134.21.13.54...
> Connected to siufuxsun04.unifr.ch.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 554 SMTP service not available (failed to find sending host name from IP
> address)
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Hmm. Exim 2.02 has no problem on my machine:

$ exim -bh 195.141.72.66

**** SMTP testing session as if from host 195.141.72.66
**** Not for real!

>>> looking up host name for 195.141.72.66
>>> host lookup yielded netra.rega-sense.ch

This is a SPARC running Solaris 2.5.1. I don't recall any major changes
in this area from 1.82.

> (He works also in the university of Fribourg and shows that
> name resolution is ok from a Sun workstation situated within
> the University)

Ah, well that agrees with my situation then.

> Is is possible that your mail server software is outdated and does not
> properly support RFC 2317? This RFC is quite new, it dates from March
> 1998.

I can't keep up with all these new RFCs. I certainly haven't seen that
one. I have added "Read RFC 2317" to my list of things to do. Heck! If
an RFC comes out in March, one can hardly expect the whole world to have
upgraded everything to support it by August.

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> For exim to support this (on platforms where gethostbyaddr() is now
> effectively oboleteted), all the places where gethostbyaddr() are
> currently used are going to have to call some explicit code that does
> explicit libresolv functions (or does a gethostbyaddr followed by explicit
> resolver calls if it fails - thus still allowing the use of host files.

It seems that on some platforms at least, gethostbyaddr() has been fixed
to do the right thing. This surely is the way to go. There must be many
programs out there that use gethostbyaddr().