Re: [EXIM] retry-database and tempfailures

Author: Hans Morten Kind
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] retry-database and tempfailures
On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 10:18:59AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Of course this could be done. However, you then have the problem that
> all mail to a host gets delayed if there is a temporary problem with one
> specific message.

I can see the problem now, thanks for the clarification.

What I did was setting a flag if a 4xx code was received, not deleting
the entry from the retry-database if this flag is set. Further retries
will be delayed on transient failures, however the entry in the
retry-database would be deleted on a successful delivery to the host.
Not very elegant, ie quota-failures to recipients on the same host will
delay other messages until the next queuerun allowed by the retry-database.

> I suppose the only thing that could be done would be to keep a database
> of hosts for which 421 errors had been received, and to delay retrying
> if too many were received in a given interval, or some rule like that.

Like «putting it onto the Wishlist»?

Urk, did I mention that 422 replies are also received on full disk?

> That is obviously a non-trivial bit of work.

Yeah! But you certainly will be able to make it!

hmk

PS: I cant remember passing this to any sendmail-list.
    Was that another bug in sendmail?