Re: [EXIM] retry-database and tempfailures

Author: David Shaw
To: Gregory Neil Shapiro
CC: exim-users, sendmail-bugs
Subject: Re: [EXIM] retry-database and tempfailures
On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 09:00:25AM -0700, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
> David> FWIW, sendmail has the same problem, though they solved it the other way
> David> around - sendmail (using the persistent host status feature) will delay
> David> *all* of the messages to the same host.
>
> David> I think Exim's solution is better, as otherwise a problem in one
> David> message to one user can effectively prevent any mail from one site
> David> to another from moving.
>
> sendmail will only delay all of the messages to the host if the error is
> from the MAIL FROM command. If it is from the RCPT TO, sendmail assumes it
> is a user problem and doesn't store the status in persistent host status.
> It also depends on the error code.

That makes sense - I first noticed it because the sendmail install I was
working with was configured to temporarily fail any address in MAIL FROM
that couldn't be looked up via DNS. After a while, I had built up quite a
backlog on the system that was feeding it mail as one mail had a
unresolveable MAIL FROM address.

David

--
    David Shaw  |  dshaw@???  |  WWW http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~dshaw/