Re: [EXIM] SPAM without Message-Id:

Author: Ephraim Silverberg
To: patl
CC: Tom, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] SPAM without Message-Id:
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 patl@??? wrote:

>> Be prepared to refuse any Qmail relayed e-mail as well, as Qmail never
>> adds Message-Id headers to relayed mail, only to mail injected via
>> qmail-inject.

Also, we have received legitimate messages from these mailers without
the Message-Id field:

    Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.54)
    Internet Mail Service (5.0.1458.49)
    Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70
    Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.1.2
    Netscape MailCaster 1.0
    Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.2
    Internet Mail Service (5.
    TeMail 1.0
    Pegasus Mail for Windows (v2.10)
    AspMail 2.51
    Allaire Cold Fusion 3.1
    VM 6.34
    Claris Emailer 1.1
    Z-Mail
    Microsoft Outlook Express
    QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0

> It's been a while since I read the RFCs; but I thought that the
> MTA was -required- to add a Message-Id: if none was present.

Message-Id is an optional field in RFC822:

     optional-field =
                 /  "Message-ID"        ":"   msg-id
     [...]

     msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id

Note, however, that some sites create invalid Message-Id fields especially
those who try to "correct" previous MTA's omission of Message-Id and then
tack on an illegal "added by host.domain" after the final '>' -- the
Worldmail MTA is notorious for doing this.
Ephraim Silverberg, CS System Group,          Phone number:   972-2-6585521
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.         Fax number:     972-2-6585439
WWW: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~ephraim        E-mail: ephraim@???