Re: [EXIM] SPAM without Message-Id:

Author: patl
To: Tom
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] SPAM without Message-Id:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 patl@??? wrote:
>
> > I've recently noticed some UCE/UBE arrives without a Message-Id:
> > header, or with one from an intermediate site. What would be the
> > best way to configure Exim 1.92 to reject any incoming message
> > which has a Received: header but no Message-Id: ?
>
> Be prepared to refuse any Qmail relayed e-mail as well, as Qmail never
> adds Message-Id headers to relayed mail, only to mail injected via
> qmail-inject.

It would not surprise me at all to discover that this is part of
the source of the symptoms I've seen. But note that it still
requires that the -initial- MTA failed to provide a Message-Id:

It's been a while since I read the RFCs; but I thought that the
MTA was -required- to add a Message-Id: if none was present. If
so, this would imply that qmail is not a compliant MTA. (Although,
I can see the argument about that only being the responsibility
of the first MTA to process the message; a counter-argument could
be made that qmail should reject such messages.)

Hmmm. I've just had a quick scan through RFC822, and it lists
Message-Id as an optional field. Unless some other RFC requires
it, it looks like my basic assumption was wrong.

-Pat