Re: [EXIM] How to integrate Exim behind a load-balancing uni…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: James FitzGibbon
A: Ben Smithurst
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] How to integrate Exim behind a load-balancing unit ?
On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> > Not so: MX only works for other MTAs attempting to send e-mail by looking
> > up MX. It does nothing for Joe ISP user who has 'smtp.isp.com' set up as
> > his outbound host.
>
> No, but if smtp.isp.com has multiple IP addresses, Joe will get a
> randon one of however many there are. Or that's how I understand it
> to work, and it's how many ISPs do it (Demon certainly do).

Yes, but if the DNS looks like this:

mail.isp.com.        IN    A    10.1.1.1
            IN    A    10.1.1.2

And the machine at 10.1.1.2 goes down, then 50% of the Joe users out there
will get the IP of a dead machine until DNS is changed or 10.1.1.2 comes
back up. The load balancer provides a "virtual" IP that can be directed
at either or both of the machines behind it based upon that machine's
ability to serve mail (be that determined by ping or more sophisticated
methods).

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610