Re: [EXIM] Largest volume EXIM installation?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Drew Linsalata
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Largest volume EXIM installation?

drew@??? said:
} In terms of volume, what are the largest EXIM sites out there? We are
} moving 200,000 messages into user mailboxes every day at this point,
} and growing rapidly, so the main concern is how scalable the package
} is.

I think that your question is too generalised to be answerable.

Issues include how your mail is distributed (a single mail spool, maybe on
one box, maybe on networked file system, or split across machines and how
you load balance), access to the mail (direct file, pop, imap, web,
other), mail spool formats, hardware types etc....

I think that exim is relatively light on CPU and system resources. I
don't know how it compares to other systems, but my gut feeling is that it
is at least comparable to most and better than many. However what works
for me may not in your situation.

We use a system based on multiple relatively low powered servers front
ending an NFS mounted mail spool (on a *big* NetApp which is hideously
underused). Scalability of that system depends entirely on the backend
file system - we can just add more front end boxes ad-infinitum. I did
design most of the system to be very network file operation efficient...
this may not apply so well to other systems. With the volumes you are
talking about, I would have no problems at all (allowing for adding a f/e
box or so). The f/e boxes are SPARC20's - ie about the power of an intel
P75 :-(

If you are looking at a single big box approach then you will have very
different requirements and trade offs to me.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]