Re: [EXIM] Largest volume EXIM installation?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Vincent Renardias
A: Evan Leibovitch
Cc: Exim Users Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Largest volume EXIM installation?

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Just out of curiosity...
>
> Is there anyone here who, in the course of doing an evaluation of mail
> transports, has done a direct comparison between exim and qmail?
>
> I certainly have no reason to switch, but I've heard many folk rave about
> qmail. I'd at least like to know how it compares to exim, from someone
> who's actually looked at both.

I haven't made a "scientific comparison" between exim & qmail, but only
tested both on the same hardware with equivalent workload...
In my experience, both handle the load pretty well, although it seems like
qmail needs slightly more CPU time than exim. Both have very similar
memory requirements, although exim seems to do a better job when the
machine is very loaded and short on memory.
My main problem with qmail (which made me switch to exim) is that it's not
conservative w.r.t. bandwidth; ie: if you host a mailing-list where 20
users are subscribed from the same remote host, qmail will open 20 SMTP
connections to the remote host, while exim will use only 1 SMTP
connection.
(NB: I compared exim-1.82 and qmail-1.00, so the comparison may be unfair
to qmail, since exim-1.82 is more recent than qmail-1.00 AFAIR.
qmail-1.03 may show better performances)

    Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -