Re: [EXIM] Query on pop daemons.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Alexander Koch
Cc: EXIM users list
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Query on pop daemons.

exim-users@??? said:
} Now since Exim is capable of handling virtual domains / virtual user
} accounts etc. just fine, I'd like to have a short feedback on what
} kind of POP daemon someone would recommend that work with something
} else than users in your passwd..

} We've rather many users in our passwd, I'd say it's too much and now
} I'm looking for a pop3 daemon I don't have to patch to make it work
} without passwd.

I guess that you have some form of user/passwd mapping along with mailbox->
user mapping, its just not in passwd. So you really just need
authentication checking other than Unix normal.

There are a series of possibilities:-
  1. If you use Linux (probably just Red Hat > 4.x), or Solaris > 2.6
     you could use any PAM compliant pop daemon (I think - UID mapping
     might be interesting).

  2. I used to use Cubic Circle's cucipop which has the authentication
     checking nicely separated out so modifying it is pretty easy,
     but does require code patches.
    ftp://ftp.fdt.net/pub/unix/packages/cucipop/
    ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/cucipop/

  3. The pop3d from qmail has the auth checking in a completely
     separate program.  Writing a new one is easy and nicely separate
     from the pop daemon.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]