Re: [EXIM] Automated Response from Hotmail Customer Service …

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Tabor J. Wells
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Automated Response from Hotmail Customer Service (fwd)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Tabor J. Wells wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:40:36 -0400
> From: "Tabor J. Wells" <twells@???>
> To: djc@???
> Cc: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Automated Response from Hotmail Customer Service (fwd)
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 06:18:36PM -0400,
> Dave C. <djc@???> is thought to have said:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Marc Haber wrote:
> > >
> > > That is IMHO not a good idea since it will prevent people with a
> > > hotmail address that are _not_ using the Hotmail SMTP server from
> > > sending mail to your site because the X-Originating-IP won't be
> > > present.
> > >
> > > This can for example be the case for hotmail users that cannot make
> > > outgoing SMTP connections.
> >

> > Hotmail is a WWW-based email system, they do not need to use SMTP
> > gateways. All mail that is legitimately from a hotmail.com address will
> > come from the hotmail service.
>
> You misunderstand, I think. Marc is saying that this penalizes users who
> want to send mail via their favorite SMTP client with their ISP/work
> account but set the return infomation to their Hotmail account (although
> why anyone would *want* to do this, is beyond me :)

They could set the Reply-To field to anything they want and not be
penalized. Setting the From field to their hotmail address, when they
were sending from somewhere other than hotmail would be forgery
regardless of the intent, and I would have no problem blocking such
mail (not that I have any immediate plans to bother doing so)