Re: [EXIM] Mail Tapping

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
Para: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: Paul Mansfield, Tony Cowderoy, Exim users mailing list
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] Mail Tapping

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> I do agree that the ability to archive traffic would be a good thing to
> have in exim, I must admit that it is not without reservations. In
> principle whether to archive is a policy issue and not a technical issue
> and I do believe in the separation of these. But I also know that many of
> the people interested in policy are not interested in doing the work to
> understand policy implications.

While the police can set up a wire-tap, they need a warrant from a
magistrate. Since archiving mail definitely has legal implications
(in the UK the Data Protection Act, which is about to be revised),
you have a nice incentive to encourage them to do this work - criminal
liability. If they insist that you implement this, but will not sign a
piece of paper to say that you are not legally responsible for the
consequences, you have bigger problems than the policy implications.

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna