Re: [EXIM] Mail Tapping

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: Paul Mansfield
Cc: Tony Cowderoy, Exim users mailing list
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Mail Tapping
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Paul Mansfield wrote:

> * if it became a built-in function to Exim, an "X-Header-Archived:" header
> explaining that secure/encrypted/compressed archive of all mail was kept,
> would be a good way of ensuring people wouldn't forget that they were "in
> camera" so to speak when mailing.

At the risk of being pedantic, the phrase "in camara" has an extremely
nasty ambiguity. It could be read as meaning "in private" or "in
a closed chamber".

But I agree with the point. I think that such a header for archiving
would be a very good thing.

I should say that I have been asked how easy it would be to silently
monitor a single user's email. I said that it would be a bit of work
(this was before I had heard of exim) and the matter was dropped. I am
concerned that if it were to become to easy, I would actually have to
protest at being asked to do so. (Though in the individual case there
really was a very legit reason for non-silent monitoring: I wanted the
user kicked off the system, but his supervisor insisted that he be allowed
to use the network for work activity. So not only did I have to allow are
previously warned Usenet troller, spammer and forgerer to remain on our
network, I had to read his bloody email as well!),

I do agree that the ability to archive traffic would be a good thing to
have in exim, I must admit that it is not without reservations. In
principle whether to archive is a policy issue and not a technical issue
and I do believe in the separation of these. But I also know that many of
the people interested in policy are not interested in doing the work to
understand policy implications.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814