著者: Exim Users Mailing List
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] Request for a new feature
[ On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 13:26:11 (+0100), Julian wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Request for a new feature
>

> > pop +smtp ?
>
> Has inherent problems. Scenario:
>
> mailclient has 3 messages to send.
> It connects, checks pop, sends 1 message, the link dies.
> It re-connects, send the other 2 messages.
>
> The first message gets through the other doesn't. Some mail
> clients may ALWAYS check pop before sending, some may check afterwards
> I can't predict the behaviour. But I can insist that our customers
> run a certain daemon on their machine if they want to send email.

>From one real-life experience where I've seen this scheme implemented it

is in fact easier to insist that the customer check for mail first, thus
initiating the POP authentication. In fact this is trivial when the
client uses something like Netscape as a mail client. If the connection
drops before the outgoing queue is clear then the user need only initiate
the connection by attempting to check for e-mail and everything seems to
happen in the right order.

Of course if your authentication daemon doubles as a dial-up manager,
then it's almost as easy to convince users to always use it. Writing a
dial-up manager is not difficult, but it's an entirely different kettle
of fish too.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>