[EXIM] Exim accepting addresses it cannot then parse

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Exim accepting addresses it cannot then parse

ph10@??? said:
} Mutter, mutter! It's not Exim's fault. Exim calls a resolver library,
} and *it* does all these amalgamations. I tried not long ago to find a
} way of distinguishing between DNS query timeouts and SERVFAIL, and
} couldn't - both cases return TRY_AGAIN.

} Calling the normal resolver (res_search()) seems the right thing to
} do, given that resolvers can do caching and stuff like that. I don't
} think Exim should do its own DNS calls.

Agreed.
In this case we need to sanity check what we ask for prior to asking since
we cannot depend on the library to sanity check for us.

[I already have someone complaining about domains with underscores - my
announcement here said they won't work - the fact that we have had them
blocked in the dns systems for a long time now is hardly relevant.
However like the HELO arguments it might be politic to have some way of
allowing broken configs]

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]