Re: [EXIM] question about verification of email addresses

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: EXIM Users (E-mail)
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] question about verification of email addresses
Paul Mansfield wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> > generally always exists (hostmaster or postmaster or someone I know),

> I'm with Philip, testing with verify would
> - slow mail down A LOT

Certainly a valid reason ...

> - only have valid results in 20% of cases

As I said, my experience doesn't conform to that percentage;

> (its considered very bad practise to
> allow verify to work as it poses a security risk

I see that Philip's site practises what it preaches. Tell us a little
about the security risks, please?

> and some mailers like
> SMAP/SMAPd always return positive)

Tests can be done for positive/non-positive by giving a user who
couldn't exist ... as I do;

> - potentially cause just as many problems as it solves when mailing lists
> and majordomo things are used, some of which "hide" targets anyway!

There your knowledge far outstrips mine.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw
Systems Manager