Re: [EXIM] filter questions

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: F. Jacot Guillarmod
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] filter questions
Having received lots of helpful replies from this list in the past, it's my turn
to contribute something. My interest in filtering to control spam is fairly
recent. I've been relying on reject lists of one sort or another, but they're a
never ending battle to keep up to date, and you always seem to be one step
behind. With content filters, one can be pro-active.

>QUESTION 1:

>I am getting some spam where the "from" and "to" are identical, as in the
>following:

>From:        ney47@??? (Stickems)
>To:          ney47@???
>Subject:     GET 3 BILL CLINTON BUMPER STICKERS FOR ONLY $5.00
>Date:        Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:48:12 -0800

>I want to create a filter that kills these spams, by tracking whether the
>"from" is included in the "to" or vice versa. I'm getting more and more of
>these in.

I've found filtering on this criterion alone problematic, because a surprising
number of local users forward or resend to themselves from different accounts
or using pop. Either that, or I'm misunderstanding what the structure
of a locally resent or forwarded message looks like.

>The relevant full header in my /var/spool/mail/jmshack file is:

>>From ney47@??? Fri Apr 03 11:28:16 1998
>Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:48:12 -0800
>To: ney47@???
>From: ney47@??? (Stickems)
>Comments: Authenticated sender is <ney47@???>
>Subject: GET 3 BILL CLINTON BUMPER STICKERS FOR ONLY $5.00

There's a "better" way to kill this particular example - the
"authenticated sender" is a dead give away of spam. If you exclude
stuff sent by Pegasus, apparently nothing else "legitimate" inserts this
type of information into the headers of a message. Similarly with an
"X-uidl" header...

Here's four checks installed in our system wide filter that knock out
a lot of otherwise hard to detect rubbish - and would handle the above
example. The most interesting one is the hotmail.com "validity check".

# ===========================================================================
# authenticated sender, but not from pegasus
#-------------------------------------------
elif "$h_comments" contains "authenticated sender" and
     "$h_x-mailer" does not contain "pegasus" then

    log "$tod_log $message_id SPAMAUTHS: sender=$sender_address \
     subject=$header_subject: recipients_count=$recipients_count \
     recipients=$recipients"
    save /usr/local/lib/mail/spam

# claims to be from hotmail.com
#------------------------------
elif "$h_from" contains "hotmail.com" and
     "${if !def:header_x-originating-ip {nospam}}" is nospam then

    log "$tod_log $message_id SPAMHOTMAIL: sender=$sender_address \
     subject=$header_subject: recipients_count=$recipients_count \
     recipients=$recipients"
    save /usr/local/lib/mail/spam

# claims to be from juno.com
#------------------------------
elif "$h_from" contains "juno.com" and
     "${if def:header_x-mailer {juno} {spam}}" is spam then

    log "$tod_log $message_id SPAMJUNO: sender=$sender_address \
     subject=$header_subject: recipients_count=$recipients_count \
     recipients=$recipients"
    save /usr/local/lib/mail/spam

# spam X-UIDL header found
# ------------------------
elif "${if def:header_x-uidl {spam}}" is spam then

    log "$tod_log $message_id SPAM-X-UIDL: sender=$sender_address \
     subject=$header_subject: recipients_count=$recipients_count \
     recipients=$recipients"
    save /usr/local/lib/mail/spam
# ===========================================================================

>I've written this filter command:

>if $sender_address_local_part contains $local_part or $local_part
>contains $sender_address_local_part
>then
> seen finish
>endif

>Is this close? If not, could someone please let me know which variables to use
>to accomplish this? Thanks

The following rule seems to work (but I don't use it, for reasons detailed above):

# either To: is contained in From: or there is no To: line
# --------------------------------------------------------
elif $h_from contains $h_to then

     log "$tod_log $message_id SPAM-TOEQFRM: sender=$sender_address \
      subject=$header_subject: recipients_count=$recipients_count \
      recipients=$recipients"
     save /usr/local/lib/mail/spam
# --------------------------------------------------------

>QUESTION 3:

>Is there any place where I could get "sample" .forward filters? I have read
>the filter documentation, and while there are some good examples in there, I
>would appreciate being able to see more extensive examples of what can be done
>with a .forward filter. I'm new to this, so its not intuitive. If there is a
>place to go, I'd like to know about it. If not, if anyone wishes to "forward
>their .forward" file to me (barring any security concerns, of course), I'd
>appreciate seeing what others have done, ESPECIALLY in the domain of spam
>control, which is why I'm running exim.

Here's parts of my personal .forward file - I'm relying on the system wide exim
configs to zap spam, and only do the old fashioned stuff to whatever gets
through:

#==========================================================================
# Exim filter            <<== do not edit or remove this line

if error_message then finish endif

logfile $home/eximfilter.log

# Mail from support system
if $header_subject contains "[Help #"
then
save $home/Mail/in.support

# Mail from squid mailing list to local newsgroup
elif $header_subject contains "squid-users-digest"
then
deliver "<ru-list-squid@???>"

# Mail from exim-users mailing list to local newsgroup
elif $return_path contains "exim-users-request"
then
deliver "<ru-list-exim-users@???>"

# Stuff to be thrown away
if $header_subject contains "Warning From uucp"
then
seen finish
endif

Hope these help? I'm sure there are more cunning uses of filters, and I look
forward to seeing some!

The basics of our system wide filter are adapted from the information posted to
this list a while back by Ephraim Silverberg, and combined with a list of non
exim filtering criterion that I picked up from a URL that escapes me for the
moment... but could be tracked down when I'm at work, if anyone is interested.