Re: [EXIM] Manpages for Exim ?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Faehl
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Manpages for Exim ?
> On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Chris Faehl wrote:
>
> > Man pages are the Way to Unix Mastery. Man pages are convenient, whereas
> > trying to find the specific information I want in 100+ pages of paper
>                                                     200+  :-)

> > is not (not to mention the fact that I lose paper manuals, not to
> > mention the fact that I'm not wild about killing more trees than I need
> > to...).
>
> Then there are those who argue that skimming around an ASCII file with
> your favourite (and therefore very familiar) text editor is the WtUM
> It's what I usually do (not with Exim - I have paper that I scribble
> corrections on - but for other stuff).
>
> And there are those who argue that Texinfo is the WtUM.

I was actually serious when I mentioned man pages as being the WtUM. I've
considered how I really learned the ropes of Unix, how I learned the
various systems, how things were where, and without man pages, I'd be
fubar'ed.

> I have no problem in there being different info provided for all these
> different people, but I have time to maintain only one definitive
> reference manual. (One day I might write an expository book, but that's
> a different matter.)

right, I can see this... Since some of the content you have in the
manual is almost perfect content for a man page, perhaps this info
could be extracted and manipulated appropriately into a man page?

> > A good exim man page should contain locations of files, descriptions of
>
> There are no standard locations for Exim files. Sounds like you might
> need to build such a manpage with the rest of Exim. Problem is, some of
> the locations can be set dynamically in the runtime configuration
> file...

I know. Likely if someone has set these dynamically in the runtime
config, they know where things are usually kept anyway.

I'm still up for it if you feel it would useful enough to other people,
even if distributed through a Contrib mechanism. I should really look
at what Debian's got before I consider it, though...

> --
> Philip Hazel                   University Computing Service,
> ph10@???             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
> P.Hazel@???          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714

Chris Faehl                  | Email: cfaehl@???
The University of New Mexico          | URL:   http://www.cs.unm.edu/~cfaehl
Computer Science Dept., Rm. FEC 313   | Phone: 505/277-3016
Albuquerque, NM  87131  USA           | FAX:   505/277-6927