Re: [EXIM] smtp routing an queue delivery

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: john.henders
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] smtp routing an queue delivery
On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 john.henders@??? wrote:

> Anyone noticed hotmail.com is really slow lately? I've got a ton of mail
> in the queue for users there and seem to be having a hard time
> delivering it. I tried manually telnetting to their smtp port and their
> server is very slow to respond. If I try to force a queue run with
> exim -v -R hotmail.com, exim makes a new connection for every email, and
> after about 4 or 5 get's a connection reset by peer and marks all the
> others for later delivery.
>
> What I'm wondering is if there is a way to force exim to deliver all
> these messages down the same session. Even if I had to do a seperate run
> to allow exim to build smtp routing for the messages, that would still
> be preferable to the current situation.

(1) Install the testing beta release (1.891) or wait for the real next
release (1.90) in a week or so.

(2) Then do your queue run with -qq instead of -q. This does a double
queue scan - once for routing only, and once for real. This should work
if you use

exim -qqR hotmail.com

as well (-qR is synonymous with -R, and -qq applies to all -q options).

> Another question. If exim has put these messages in the queue when the
> load on my server was too high, will it not calculate smtp routing when
> doing a queue run?

Yes it will. So the *next* queue run might make use of the saved
information.

However, there is an infelicity that I noticed and have ameliorated in
the next release. Exim waits while a delivery process runs, and then goes
on to the next message. However, the "use same connection" logic fires
off an entirely different process to push another message down an
existing connection. The first process might finish and the queue runner
go on to another message before the second process completed, and if the
queue runner found another message for the same host, it would open
another connection. This is obviously very likely if the queue contains
lots of messages for the same host. I have put a delay in the queue
runner in this situation, to let the "use same connection" logic get a
head start. Of course, if everything is running very slowly, this might
not help.