Re: [EXIM] Detailed Q on Exim's delivery method

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
To: Lazlo Nibble
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Detailed Q on Exim's delivery method

lazlo@??? said:
} As a list admin, I see it as a pretty serious problem -- It's
} disconcerting to list subscribers to suddenly be hammered with a
} random amount of old email when they join a list. I think the MTA
} should deliver mail to whoever was on the list when the mail was sent,
} no more, no less. But it's nice to finally have a formal answer to
} this question, which has been bugging a number of list admins for a
} *long* time.

Whether or not the current alias expansion behaviour is the one and only
right behaviour (you will get at least 3 differing views on that - yes, no
& maybe) is almost irrelevant. You can get the behaviour you want by
invoking the mailer with a recipients list - as is done by a number of
other programs which can be used with Majordomo. These programs can give
other advantages if configured right.

So I don't think its worth fixing - its going to mean changing the way
that exim handles some things quite fundamentally, and I like the current
behaviour (which is likely to be lost by those changes). However it is
worth putting a note in the docs. I'll try and add it to my proto-faq
when I next get a chance....

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]