Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, John Henders wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16/98, Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
> >
> > I develop Exim on Solaris 2 and have no problem with exiwhat (but then I
> > don't have /usr/ucb on my path). Note that exiwhat is to some extent
> > configurable via the following compile-time options (shown with default
> > values):
> >
> > EXIWHAT_PS_ARG=-e
> > EXIWHAT_KILL_ARG=-USR1
> > EXIWHAT_EGREP_ARG=' exim( |$$)'
> >
> > Perhaps I should make it even more configurable? Or maybe it is just
> > easier for people to edit the script.
>
> I don't know how common it is for people to run exim as a symlink to
> sendmail rather than just renaming the binary.

I do!

> At least on our Solaris
> machines, /usr/bin/ps won't show exim as sendmail if it's run this way,
> though /usr/ucb/ps will.

Neither will ours. But with the setting of EXIWHAT_EGREP_ARG above, all
is well, since it's looking for "exim", not "sendmail".

> I would suggest shell scripts that want
> specific binaries where the system has multiple versions should either
> have a PATH defined or the absolute path to each program called, but
> that's because I always tend to have gnu and other local versions of
> binaries first in my path, to work around things like Solaris's broken
> mv command. Maybe just adding EXIWHAT_PS_COMMAND=/usr/bin/ps would be
> sufficient, with a not somewhere that this will fail if
> /usr/lib/sendmail is a symlink to bin/exim.

I think I must be missing something here. I have /usr/lib/sendmail as a
symlink to /opt/exim/bin/exim on a Solaris 2.5 system, with the default
version of exiwhat, and it works. So what is the difference between our
systems that is causing a problem? I'd like to know, in case there is
something trivial that can be done to make life easier. Is is just the
/usr/ucb difference?

Adding EXIWHAT_PS_COMMAND is trivial, and can do no harm, so I'll
probably do that anyway.