Re: [EXIM] Regular expressions for filtering.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: David Sheryn
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Andrew V. Kovalev, djc, david, jhenders, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Regular expressions for filtering.
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Regular expressions for filtering.
>
> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Andrew V. Kovalev wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. I am to lazy now to grep RFCs 8xx but it seems to me that any host on
> > internet that wants to send mail has a right to connect to appropriate MX
> > host..
>
> Not if the supplier of the Internet connection says "you may not". For
> example, we do not permit students in their college rooms to send SMTP
> to arbitrary hosts (and we back this up with router blocks). That is the
> condition on which we permit them to connect to our network.

Ditto. We do the same for our student accommodation. In general, I'm in
agreement with Phil on this one. However...

> It would stop a lot of spam if ISPs put something similar in their
> contracts, and also blocked SMTP from dialup lines, except to their
> servers. I think some do do this.

This is purely from the administrator/anti-spam angle.

If my only access to email was from my *nix box at home, I'd want a
water-tight SLA from my ISP covering delivery times, before I'd be happy with
them _forcing_ me to go via their relays. And we all know how easy that would
be to do... (if my box was doing deliveries direct, at least *I* would know
what was going on; and could decide how long I wanted to stay online and pay
for. But then again, I, and I suspect most people on this list, are the
exceptions).

Plenty of my friends are connected to ISPs where it takes _days_ for mail to
rumble around inside their systems (yes, I know, in these days of market
driven economics, change your ISP...)

Cheers,

DHS
-- David Sheryn <D.H.Sheryn@???> Postmaster, Computing Services
-- City University, Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB
-- Phone: (+44) 171 477 8000 Direct 0171 477 8196 Fax: 0171 477 8165