Re: [EXIM] Regular expressions for filtering.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Andrew V. Kovalev
Cc: david, jhenders, ph10, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Regular expressions for filtering.

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Andrew V. Kovalev wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:24:02 +0300 (MSK)
> From: "Andrew V. Kovalev" <avk@???>
> To: djc@???
> Cc: david@???, jhenders@???, ph10@???,
>     exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Regular expressions for filtering.

> > > Are you comfortable throwing out the baby with the bathwater here?
> > >
> > > IE, in order to eliminate the possibility of spam from dialsprint.net
> > > you're going to ban all legitmate mail from legitimate dialsprint.net
> > > users.
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > Legitimate dialsprint.net users will be using their assigned
> > SMTP/outgoing mail relay, and will NOT be making SMTP connections
> > directly to mailservers for destination domains.
> >
> > Only spammers will be making SMTP connections directly from dynamic
> > terminal server addresses.
> >

> Wrong again.
>
> Customers (even dialsprint.net users:) do have a right to have a
> linux/freebsd/whatever system running sendmail, doing mx lookups AND
> delivering mail directly from terminal server addresses.
>
>                 avk

A. They certainly have the right to do so, but no inherent right to
make such connections directly to my network.

B. It is FAR more efficient to use the designated sprint SMTP relay,
EVEN if you are running a *nix OS.

C. Some spammers specifically do this to send their spam (or for other
people)

D. Anyone running a *nix that is handling ANY signifigant amount of
mail will probably have a real connection, at the very least a static
dialup if not something more permanent.

E. I dont really want to receive mail from anyone that is not ethical
enough to not do C. or not intelligent enough to do B.

If they are intelligent enough to use the relay but are unethical
spammers, eventually spring will shut them down.
If they are not spammers, then they will figure out when their mail is
rejected that they need to use their designated relay.