Re: [EXIM] a coupl'o'suggestions

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Thompson
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] a coupl'o'suggestions

On Fri 13 Feb 1998 [enough said, eh?], Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> Good Idea.

As Philip is just about to impose this on our systems, I was reminded me of
this exchange, and what I didn't get round to saying at the time.

Although it's a venerable Unix tradition, the preserving of old versions of
log files by renaming thing -> thing.0 -> thing.1 -> ... every day/week/month
has some distinct disadvantages. One is that the renaming causes all the
ic_ctime time stamps to be updated, forcing everything in the cycle into the

As for the merits of the leading zeros, the arguments aren't all on one side.
A script that computes which log file to look at is likely to find the %d format
more convenient to generate than the %02d one.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.