Re: [EXIM] Discrepancy? sender_host_reject_relay can be over…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Paul Mansfield
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Discrepancy? sender_host_reject_relay can be overridden
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Paul Mansfield wrote:

> I have tried
>    sender_host_reject_relay = *

> which according to the manual (section the main configuration) stops any
> relaying at all (if relay_domains is blank) which it is in my config.
>
> however, I have found that if you set
>    relay_match_host_or_sender = true

> then it does seem to override it...

Perhaps the manual isn't clear. That option might better have been
called relay_match_host_or_sender_address. It means that *either* the
host is acceptable, *or* the sending address (envelope from) is
acceptable. (The default state uses AND rather than OR.) The list of
sending addresses that are acceptable is specified in
sender_address_relay. If it is empty, all sender addresses are
acceptable. That is why setting

       sender_host_reject_relay = *
       relay_match_host_or_sender = true

lets everything in. In fact, setting relay_match_host_or_sender without
setting anything in sender_address_relay is a nonsense. I will lock out
that combination in the next release, I think.

> maybe I'm confused.

I hope I've shed some light. I already had a note to add more
explanation about sender_address_relay, so you are not the first to have
problems. Maybe I should try to draw a flowchart-like diagram of the
checks that Exim applies.