[EXIM] Discrepancy? sender_host_reject_relay can be overridd…

Author: Paul Mansfield
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Discrepancy? sender_host_reject_relay can be overridden

I have tried
    sender_host_reject_relay = *

which according to the manual (section the main configuration) stops any
relaying at all (if relay_domains is blank) which it is in my config.

however, I have found that if you set
    relay_match_host_or_sender = true

then it does seem to override it... and then sender_net_accept_relay
doesnt seem to have any effect, especially in conjunction with my attempts
to use relay_domains_include_local_mx.

maybe I'm confused.

however, a suck-it-and-see approach means I think I have what I want now,
a backup-MX machine (which automagically detects itself being in the MX
records), plus relaying for specified nets only, with spamblocks on author/from
and connecting host/net.

so, know I have changed to this (cutting out all comments)
   #sender_host_reject_relay = *
   #helo_verify = true    (I wanted this but our customers would all die!)
   sender_verify = true
   sender_verify_fixup = true
   sender_reject_recipients = @@lsearch*;/opt/exim/etc/relay-spamblock-authors
   sender_net_reject_recipients = /opt/exim/etc/relay-spamblock-nets
   sender_net_accept_relay = /opt/exim/etc/relay-access-list
   relay_domains_include_local_mx = true
   #relay_match_host_or_sender = true

the thing I don't understand is why I had to remove relay_match_host_or_sender

otherwise, this configuration works nicely, perhaps it could be added to the
Exim "cookbook".

I'm also happy to contribute my configure template, and my script which turns
a list of junkmailers (either author@domain or just domain) into a suitable
spam filter file, to the cookbook.

Paul
----
P Mansfield, Senior SysAdmin PSINet, +44-1223-577577x2611/577611 fax:577600
"Whatever it was that wasn't wrong and couldn't be reproduced and works like
it always has...has apparently been fixed."... from a fault report.