[EXIM] Nexor PP MTA to Exim Transition

Author: Paul Matthews
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Nexor PP MTA to Exim Transition

Hi.

I've just started fiddling with exim1.82 with a view to moving from
Nexor's PP MTA software (used by many academic sites for one) to exim.
I was wondering if there was anyone on the list who could give some
simple examples of the basic address rewriting and routing stuff needed
in exim to do the equivalent of a basic PP setup, eg.

    aliases:
    P.W.Matthews:alias ccpaulm@??? 822
    ccpaulm:alias ccpaulm@??? 822
    ccpaulm:synonym P.W.Matthews@??? 822 external
    users:
    ccpaulm:822-local ccrollins.swan.ac.uk

This rewrites outgoing mail from ccpaulm@??? to
p.w.matthews@??? and accepts mail for p.w.matthews@???
and routes it off to ccpaulm@???.

I did see one similar example of this in the exim archive.
I've sort of got something working, but it seems a bit messy, eg.

local_user_director:
driver = smartuser
transport = local_smtp
new_address = ${lookup{${local_part}}dbm{/usr/local/exim/incoming}{$value}fail}@${lookup{${lookup{${local_part}}dbm{/usr/local/exim/incoming}{$value}fail}}dbm{/usr/local/exim/mtas}{$value}fail}

where /usr/local/exim/incoming
    p.w.matthews: ccpaulm
    ccpaulm: ccpaulm
and /usr/local/exim/mtas
    ccpaulm: ccrollins.swan.ac.uk
    p.w.matthews: ccrollins.swan.ac.uk

I'm sure I haven't quite got it all sorted in my head how exim fully works !
There's no local mail as such, the exim box is to act as a hub
sending mail between local *.swan.ac.uk domains and the world.

Cheers,
Paul.
Paul Matthews                                  Postmaster/Network Engineer
Academic Computing Services,
University of Wales Swansea , Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK

email: P.W.Matthews@???                 postmaster@???
tel:   +44 (0)1792 295107  mobile: 0802166089      fax: +44 (0)1792 295851