[EXIM] RFC 1869 (ESMTP) and Exim

Author: Georg v.Zezschwitz
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] RFC 1869 (ESMTP) and Exim
Hello,

Exim seems to be a bit incompliant to RFC1869 (ESMTP):
I guess the line '250-Supported functions are:' is wrong:

popocate:/home/gvz > telnet mail smtp
Trying 193.98.9.7...
Connected to mail.hamburg.pop.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.provi.de Exim ready at Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:53:07 +0100
EHLO its.me.my.dear
250-mail.provi.de: Hello gvz at popocate.office.pop.de [195.222.230.42]
250-Supported functions are:
250 HELP

RFC1869 describes a successful ESMTP-reponse as follows:

> 4.3. Successful response
>
>    If the server SMTP implements and is able to perform the EHLO
>    command, it will return code 250.  This indicates that both the
>    server and client SMTP are in the initial state, that is, there is no
>    transaction in progress and all state tables and buffers are cleared.

>    Normally, this response will be a multiline reply. Each line of the
>    response contains a keyword and, optionally, one or more parameters.
>    The syntax for a positive response, using the ABNF notation of [2],
>    is:

>      ehlo-ok-rsp  ::=      "250"    domain [ SP greeting ] CR LF
>                     / (    "250-"   domain [ SP greeting ] CR LF
>                         *( "250-"      ehlo-line           CR LF )
>                            "250"    SP ehlo-line           CR LF   )

>                   ; the usual HELO chit-chat
>      greeting     ::= 1*<any character other than CR or LF>

>      ehlo-line    ::= ehlo-keyword *( SP ehlo-param )

>      ehlo-keyword ::= (ALPHA / DIGIT) *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "-")

>                   ; syntax and values depend on ehlo-keyword
>      ehlo-param   ::= 1*<any CHAR excluding SP and all
>                          control characters (US ASCII 0-31
>                          inclusive)>

In other words, "Supported" is given as an IANA-extension by
Exim to the client.

I just noticed this behaviour, as when we started using Exim
(1.63b with the option - thanks Philip :-) ) one customer was
not able to deliver mails to our site. When we removed the
ESMTP in the banner (by smtp_banner), he was happy again.

Now we'd probably like to switch back to the default ESMTP-
banner, and we'd like to ensure that our site is 100%-RFC-compliant.

What about dropping the "Supported functions are:" line?

Just another point:

The first response line should contain the domain followed by
SP and the greeting.

The ':' that is used by Exim in the first respone line right behind
the domain might be illegal, too.

Georg