Re: [EXIM] Gecos entry and Vacation

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim
New-Topics: [EXIM] Relay thru multiple servers addressed by a CNAME
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Gecos entry and Vacation
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> > File expansion is on, for ~/home/.vacation.msg, this is what makes the
> > whole thing work. Using $local_part as the variable only gives the
> > logname. What I really want, is the contents of the header "From" field
> > to be expanded into a variable in the message. This is almost always the
> > same as the first field of the Gecos record (at least, as for as SCO is
> > concerned).

> In that case, doesn't $header_from: do it for you? (But I think you have
> mistyped something, as using "From" doesn't make much sense.) Anyway,
> I'll think about a lookup that can do arbitrary getpwnam() calls.

I've more or less done what I wanted using awk to get the info out of
/etc/password - I had written my own small vacation script based on Exim
(the perl script that I started with wasn't suited to a LAN where nobody
but me ever logs in to the Unix machine) and could put an awk line into
it. Never used awk before, I'm very proud of myself! Thanks a lot for
the input - it made me think along different lines ...

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw
E-State