Re: [EXIM] Gecos entry and Vacation

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Gecos entry and Vacation
Philip Hazel wrote:

> > In connection with the Vacation utility and other automated reply
> > facilities within Exim, is there a way of automatically getting the
> > first field of the user's Gecos entry in /etc/passwd (and perferably
> > also his e-mail address) into ~/.vacation.msg? Everything else works
> > perfectly, but the user or mail administrator is at present having to
> > edit in this last entry by hand.

> Not quite sure exactly which facilities you are using in this
> connection. If you are using an autoreply transport explicitly, you can
> set the file_expand option, which will allow you to have $local_part in
> the message file expanded.

File expansion is on, for ~/home/.vacation.msg, this is what makes the
whole thing work. Using $local_part as the variable only gives the
logname. What I really want, is the contents of the header "From" field
to be expanded into a variable in the message. This is almost always the
same as the first field of the Gecos record (at least, as for as SCO is
concerned).

> If you really are using /etc/passwd you can
> do direct lookups on that file using bsearch, but of course this doesn't
> work if you are using NIS or similar.

No, just gave this as an example to show what I meant.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw
E-State