Re: [EXIM] Maximum Message Size

Author: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Maximum Message Size
[ On Fri, February 6, 1998 at 20:25:16 (-0800), Tom wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Maximum Message Size
>
> No I'm not. I only poll users. Everyone I asked likes it.
>
> Yes, every user I talked doesn't like unreasonable low limits. The
> previous 5MB limit was felt to be a bit limiting.

We're obviously in different universes. Let's leave it at that.

> Well, any message sent out via POP, has to be received somehow. Most
> likely via SMTP. Exim does a job of keeping load under control, so a
> POP/IMAP server can do its job.

Perhaps a clue about the origins of our different universes that seem
only to intersect on this mailing list hides in the above paragraph: In
my vocabulary POP cannot "send" anything. Note that if you always look
at things from the "server" point of view your understanding of the
universe and measurement of its constants can be seriously skewed from
any reality that looks at the bigger picture (i.e. the one that includes
the client).

> It isn't a real server, if can't handle the job.

Hmmm.... now that's an interesting outlook on things. I guess it all
depends on how you define "the job".

> So when they crash they'll know better.

Nope. When their mailer crashes it is: "because the sending mailer did
something nasty and we need to replace it with something more friendly".

> Your NSP, I*Star had lost all connectivity to some parts of the
> Internet. Mainly due to the fact that I*Star gets connectivity from
> Teleglobe, and Teleglobe sucks. I know this situation very well.

Ah, yes, well that's why our direct connectivity provider will soon have
BGP peering with more than three backbone connectivity providers via two
NAPs in separate cities. I can hardly wait, since this will hopefully
reduce the hop count to various places, such as one of my clients four
blocks away, from an average of 20 hops down to hopefully around 10 or
fewer. I*Star should be much better now -- their peering with their
parent company (PSI) now works and is not overloaded, at least from my
P.O.V.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>