Re: [EXIM] Maximum Message Size

Author: Tom
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Maximum Message Size

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Wed, February 4, 1998 at 20:48:09 (-0800), Tom wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [EXIM] Maximum Message Size
> >
> > Well, there are some people who have problems. But the majority of
> > users that I surveyed like the 10MB limit, and can handle it.
>
> You're talking to admins, not users. What admins say is often
> irrelevant when considering the user's concerns.

No I'm not. I only poll users. Everyone I asked likes it.

> Again you've missed the point. The relevance of large message limits is
> particularly accute for the end user, *NOT* the admin. I realize that

Yes, every user I talked doesn't like unreasonable low limits. The
previous 5MB limit was felt to be a bit limiting.

> > > [[You should see what 8,000 POP users over over high speed links can do
> > > to a large and well endowed Sparc-Ultra when they all hit the POP server
> > > every 5-60 seconds, esp. when those users inevitably learn to keep large
> >
> > You should get a real server, or you should use Exim :)
>
> What exactly does Exim (or any other MTA) have to do with providing POP
> service? Since when is a "well endowed Sparc Ultra" not a real server?

Well, any message sent out via POP, has to be received somehow. Most
likely via SMTP. Exim does a job of keeping load under control, so a
POP/IMAP server can do its job.

It isn't a real server, if can't handle the job.

> > Again, this is resposibility of that site. If it really important, they
> > can setup an outside relay to protect fragile internal mail systems.
>
> Of course, but in real life many don't. Many refuse to believe in the
> first place that their internal mail systems are fragile.

So when they crash they'll know better.

> > Well, when I sent this message, your mail server was unreachable,
> > so I wasn't even sure if you'd get this message :)
>
> My mail server? I have a secondary MX server that's usually available
> even if my crotchety old system has crashed or my line has been downed.

Your NSP, I*Star had lost all connectivity to some parts of the
Internet. Mainly due to the fact that I*Star gets connectivity from
Teleglobe, and Teleglobe sucks. I know this situation very well.

> --
>                             Greg A. Woods

> +1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
> Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>