Re: [EXIM] Why does a POP3 send have CRLF's?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave Cinege
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Why does a POP3 send have CRLF's?
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dave Cinege wrote:

> What I found: When I send with SMTP I didn't have the trailing CR. When
> I sent via POP3 I did. So the client formats differently, right?
> Nope....it always terminates a line with CRLF. It's just when it goes through
> SMTP exim hacks the CRLF and replaces it with an LF.

The specification of SMTP (RFC 821) states that lines are terminated
with CRLF. On Unix systems, lines are terminated with LF. Exim receives
messages over SMTP and stores then in Unix files. Consequently, when
doing so, it converts CRLF to LF. (It does the opposite when sending.)

> Should exim (the MTA) be doing this with a POP3 send?

How does the message get to Exim? If it is passed to it via a command
line, then you are passing it a Unix file. Unix files already have lines
terminated by LF, so Exim does no conversion in this case.

> Should the popper be doing the hacking the CRLF? (the newest qpopper
> doesn't. I don't think cuci-pop did either.)

No idea. Depends on the specification of POP3 send. Maybe the client is
supposed to do it?

> Best way to fix it??

If you can patch the command that is being used to call Exim to pass it
the message via the command line (assuming that is happening) add the
option -dropcr to it. That is provided specifically for shoring up
broken software like this.