[EXIM] Why does a POP3 send have CRLF's?

Author: Dave Cinege
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: [EXIM] Why does a POP3 send have CRLF's?
Not sure if this is an MTA problem or not, but I need to start some place.

For a long time I was getting lot's of bitching about the \r (aka ^M, aka <cr>)
at the ends of the line in my posts. I always figured it was my OS/2
email client formating lines wrong. This is not the case....

I got involved in with it today, and sat down and read the POP3 RFC.
I also did some tcpdumps on my mail server transactions.

What I found: When I send with SMTP I didn't have the trailing CR. When
I sent via POP3 I did. So the client formats differently, right?
Nope....it always terminates a line with CRLF. It's just when it goes through
SMTP exim hacks the CRLF and replaces it with an LF.

Should exim (the MTA) be doing this with a POP3 send?
Should the popper be doing the hacking the CRLF? (the newest qpopper
doesn't. I don't think cuci-pop did either.)
Or is this just a downfall of sending with POP3?

Best way to fix it??
http://www.psychosis.com/emc/        Elite MicroComputers   908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/    Linux Router Project

"The only way to remain cutting edge, is to design for things that do not yet
exist." -- Me : )