Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Sean Witham
CC: Mark Baker, Exim
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Sean Witham wrote:

> What do poeple think on the idea of read-recepts then ? Its an MUA
> facility but should the delivery-recepts be an MTA task unless a
> filter is detected in the local delivery stages i.e. exim doesn't
> append to /var/mail/<users email box file>

If it ever takes off it *has* to be an MUA task.
The MTA can only confirmation that a message has been delivered*
which is *worse* than useless.
I've even had a mail (news?) reader which didn't mark a message as read
unless it had displayed every line of the text; annoying for things like
spam, but potentially justifiable when confirmation that the message has
actually been read.

* even /dev/null would be a valid delivery if things were broken 8-(

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna