Re: [EXIM] HELO: syntactically invalid argument

Author: Dave C.
To: Daniel Ryde
CC: Adrian Bool, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] HELO: syntactically invalid argument

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Daniel Ryde wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:46:33 +0100 (CET)
> From: Daniel Ryde <ryde@???>
> To: djc@???
> Cc: Adrian Bool <aid@???>, exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] HELO: syntactically invalid argument
>
> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Dave C. wrote:
>
> > Is this a Win 3.1 box, a Win 3.11 box, or a WFW 3.11 box?
> >
> > WFW has some network options that straight Win 3.1 does not.
> > AFAIK, Win 3.1 does not _have_ a "Network" Control Panel
>
> There are several boxes, representating all different Win 3.x releases.
> It is not the built in Network drivers that is used. It is the Microsoft
> Internet (Explorer) package for Win3.x, that has its own "Dialup
> Networking" drivers. These put some obscure default hostname like
> PC_email.address.domain.blaha.

Thats exactly what I was saying. With WFW, you might have a chance of
changing this setting since WFW has its own network support. I do not
know of any way to change the computer's hostname under straight Win
3.1, with MSIE for Win3.x. If anyone can find a way to do so, I would
be very happy.

Underscores are not legal in hostnames and I do not plan on accepting
them. That some flunky at Microsoft was not aware of this when he
programmed the MS TCP/IP stack or the Internet Mail client that somes
with IE for 3.1 is a Microsoft bug, not mine.