Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tom
To: Tony Earnshaw
CC: Exim
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > tony@??? said:
> > } This point has been tentatively raised in the past, and if I'm not
> > } mistaken, you said you'd look at the possibility of including it in a
> > } future version. This feature is very definitely on my own wish list,
> > } now there would appear to be at least three of us that would
> > } appreciate it. The Mozilla (Netscape) UMA that I use at the moment
> > } supports it too ...
>
> > What headers is it adding for delivery confirmation?
>
> It isn't!!! When I try to turn on this facility and send the mail,
> Mozilla tells me that my mail server doesn't support it and won't use it

It is using DSN probably. It is looking for the string "DSN" in the
EHLO response.

DSN only works if every system along the way supports it, so even if
your relay supports it, every other relay and the destination must support
it too.

> >         Return-Receipt-To: is definitely deprecated now.
> > The other main method is (and should be) done in the MUA *not* the MTA.

> The MTA would still have to support it. And do you mean I have to
> rewrite Netscape Messenger and distribute copies to everyone I send
> mail?

Well the best delivery notification method is to have the MUA do
everything. After all, having the MTA send you a confirmation only tells
you that the mail has arrived in the persons mailbox, not that someone
actually read it, or was able to retrieve it (mail can get lost during
retrieval).

Sidenote: I think it would be cool if confirmation could be sent by the
message retrieval system (POP or IMAP). In other words, when your message
is retrieved, the POP server sends a "your message is being read right
now" message.

> > However I think there is yet another standard that people do in the MTA.
> > The best thing to do is to have an additional transport defined following
> > local delivery that deals with this stuff and don't put it in the MTA at
> > all.
>
> If you mean what I think you mean, what do you mean, and how do I do it?

I don't get it at all. I know a bit about DSN, and it requires changes
all over the place. It uses a bunch of ESMTP params, so it requires
changes to the SMTP sender and receiver. Errors messages need the ugly
DSN stuff added to them, plus the MTA needs to generate various types of
notifications.

> Tony
>
> --
> Tony Earnshaw