[EXIM] Exim as a mail hub

Author: Craig Foster
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Exim as a mail hub
Question from Exim virgin...
I am trying to set up Exim on one of our mail hubs, but am a tad
confused. Since I'm probably not the first person to do this, I
thought I might ask for advice/experiences.

The set-up I want to achieve is roughly as follows. The mail hub has
no local users. Mail from off-campus for local-user@mydomain is
routed to one of several fileservers via SMTP, the destination being
dependent on the local-part, eg. mail for user1@mydomain is sent to
user1@???. However, I don't want "host1" appearing in
the message headers. Similarly, mail from user1@??? should
appear to come from user1@mydomain. To somplicate matters, locally-
generated mail (where local = campus) to user1@host2 should be routed
to host2.

There are lots of other things I'll need to sort out, but to achieve
the above would be a start - any help is most gratefully accepted.
I am confused as to whether I should be looking at address rewriting,
virtual domains, the aliasfile director or the smartuser director.
Or maybe all of these...

Apologies for a rather vague request,

Craig.

PS. Is there a FAQ?

Craig Foster                                         cf2@???
Network Support                                     0116 252 2245
University of Leicester Computer Centre     Leicester LE1 7RH, UK