Re: [EXIM] RBL?

Author: Alistair Young
To: Piete Brooks
CC: Victor Torrico, Exim eMail List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RBL?

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:26:37 +0000, in message <E0xjNzK-0008Av-00@???>,
Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@???> (== Piete.Brooks)
praised Shub-Internet thus:

>> Can RBL be used with a standalone workstation connected to an ISP via PPP?
> I can't see how
>     1) standalone
>     2) workstation
>     3) ISP
>     4) PPP
> effect it ...

I've tried it, and unfortunately, there may be *one* thing. As I am
only intermittently connected to the Internet, my incoming e-mail is
queued up for me on the ISP's mail hub (MX records for
arkane.demon.co.uk point to this, obviously, rather than my machine),
and delivered to me via SMTP when it detects that I've logged on.

The problem with that, you see, is that all incoming mail connections
to my machine originate with that mail hub, not from the network of
the original sender, so using RBL on my machine is largely useless -
the only addresses it'll ever check are those of my ISP's mail hub
machines.

(Perhaps an option to lookup the addresses of the originating host and
see if they're in the RBL might be a nice thing for a future version?)

Alistair

--
Computational Thaumaturge  --  Sysimperator, dominus retis deusque machinarum.
e-mail: avatar-sig@???      WWW: http://www.arkane.demon.co.uk/