Re: [EXIM] several messages

Author: Tim Cutts
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Derrick, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] several messages
On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Have you got the Num Lock key engaged? It was pointed out to me recently
> that if you press Num Lock, the eximon menus stop working. This
> certainly happens to me on Solaris 2. I don't understand it, because
> they work for other applications. I'm afraid I don't know enough about X
> to even start to figure out what is going on. Any Xperts on this list?

This is because in at least the later releases of X11R6, NumLock has
become a key modifier a la Ctrl, Meta, and so on, rather than just
altering the codes generated by the keyboard.

It breaks quite a lot of other things (like the fvwm window manager, which
with the default bindings stops being able to move the window about with
the mouse if Numlock is on - whee! At least, on every SGI I have tried it
on, anyway).

Personally, I think making NumLock a modifier was an idiotic thing to do,
but there you go.

Tim.

Dr T J R Cutts                                        Tel: +44 1223 333596
Dept. of Biochemistry, 80 Tennis Court Rd.,           Fax: +44 1223 766002
Cambridge, CB2 1GA, UK