[EXIM] RBL: save headers?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: djc
CC: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] RBL: save headers?
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, D. Chiodo wrote:

> Can the RBL reject be made to work like the reject for invalid sender
> address, in that the MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, and DATA - "." are allowed to
> be read, the headers saved (and recorded in the rejectlog), and then
> the mail refused?

Anything is possible...

I implemented it as is suggested in the RBL documentation, but also
partly because I wanted to support it quickly, and that was easy to do.

> Or at least make this an option? This might help if one notes that what
> appears to be legitimate mail is being rejected due to the granularity
> of RBL, and one can contact the sender and help them get the issue
> corrected (anti-relay, cut-off a spammer, or even switch ISP's)..

Fine if you've got the time to process your reject logs! Five or six
years ago, when I started checking senders in smail, I got about 2
rejections a week, and was able to check them all out by hand.
Nowadays... no chance.

> Perhaps also, the source IP and can be cached in a DB file, and if the
> same host connects within 24 hours, and is still listed in the RBL, the
> connection be allowed to open, the RBL reference message printed, and
> the connection closed immediately. Or again, this could be an option..

If you did this, the host will just keep trying again, thereby wasting
your resources. Rejecting recipients usually shuts a remote host up.

> Or even MORE evil, perhaps allow the message to be received, send back
> an "accept" code, and then just drop the message on the bucket.. Again,
> as an option.. for only the truly pissed off

You can implement this yourself by not rejecting RBL hosts, but
subsequently checking for the X-RBL-Warning header in a filter file.